We cannot ignore global warming any longer.
With a continual rise in temperature every year, the Earth is slowly rotating towards its own destruction. In simple words, global warming is one of the major problems in today’s ecological balance of the Earth.
According to ecologists and scientists, it wouldn’t be too late when the glaciers disappear from the polar regions and the sea level starts rising at a faster rate.
What is Global Warming?
Global warming is the physical phenomenon wherein the average air temperature of the troposphere over the earth’s surface increases each year. The temperature records over the past two centuries show a consistent rise in the Earth’s surface temperature.
Even the data collected by astronauts from outside the atmosphere reveal a considerable change in the patterns of the wind over the Earth. This is especially the case over the Southern hemisphere, Antarctica, and Australia.
The increased global temperature has led to the warming of the snow ice-caps in the polar regions, bringing a prominent shift in the climatic belts of the Earth.
The three wind belts have shifted in time as well as position due to global warming, causing the climates to change and become unpredictable.
On a political level, many politicians even refuse to acknowledge that global warming exists. scientists and geologists have proofs that the recent changes in the geological condition are a direct and adverse effect of global warming.
Here’s why that’s important:
How would political representatives make the relevant policies when they do not even believe in global warming?
#What are the causes of Global Warming?
The direct and indirect causes of global warming have proven difficult to curb. Some of them are:
- The exponential increase in the CO2 level in the earth’s atmosphere. CO2 is one of the greenhouse gases emitted from volcanic eruptions, car exhausts, factories exhaust, burning of fuels like coal, wood, dry leaves, etc. CO2 is responsible for trapping the solar energy coming from the cosmic radiations. It does not allow the heat to escape from the earth’s atmosphere and hence the temperature increases causing global warming.
- The release of CFCs (ChloroFluorocarbons) and HCFCs (Hydrochlorofluorocarbon) also trap maximum cosmic heat coming from the sun causing global warming.
- The extensive use of inorganic chemical fertilizers and pesticides in agricultural land is increasing the heat retention capacity of the soil, thereby trapping the solar heat. At night, this heat is released in the troposphere causing global warming.
#Consequences of Global Warming on the Ecology and Biodiversity
The consequences of global warming are varied, and if the results are prolonged the earth might soon face another ice age or worse, the mass extinction of life form.
- The two largest ice- caps of the world, one in Antarctica while the other one in the Greenland, off the east coast of the U.S., are melting due to the increased atmospheric heat caused by global warming. This has resulted in the rise of the sea level and soon this could mean a mass displacement of people living near coastal areas.The Maldives is already looking for relocation, thanks to the increased sea- level.
- Extinction of species is another expected consequence as a result of global warming causing an ecological imbalance in Earth’s Biodiversity.